Friday, July 11, 2008

I feel good! :)

A day after the interview, the company wrote me an offer letter. Quite fast, don't you think? Probably they found what they were looking for. So yeah, that made me excited. But reading their terms and conditions got me all freaked out. I guess this should happen, considering the fact that I were spoiled more than 6 years in a company that doesn't record annual leaves and MCs, got tolerated for consistently coming late for work (I almost never arrive on time, usually it's half an hour late and I'm still the earliest) and still receive bonus and increment. So no doubt I deserve to be freaked out by rules and regulations.

This morning, I handed my resignation letter to my boss. I sat in front of him feeling guilty (for wanting to leave when the company is cram with workload), and very sad (hey, it feels like I'm leaving my family) and also curious (wonder how he's gonna react?). Judging from the look on his face, I thought he was going to say, "Fine, you can go. Good luck with your new job" or something that sounded like that. To tell you all the truth, I don't really expect any counter offer from him, although I do hope he will so that I can leave without feeling like a loser. But it was just impossible, you know why? Firstly because the amount of salary I requested equals the pay of another staff who is 5 years older than me. If he granted my request, imagine the amount he has to pay the senior sebab takkan la nak bagi gaji kitorg sama level, betul tak? Tu belum cerita gaji QS lain yang sebaya dgn aku, kopak kompeni nak membayo! And secondly, with the numbers of resumes pouring in, I don't think it's hard to find a replacement. Bak kata pepatah, patah tumbuh hilang berganti. Sekali petik sepuluh mari.

But instead, he asked whether I can still consider. He said if my decision to leave were because I hate staying or because the other company was too good, than he couldn't do anything. But if the reason was money, then to him it was merely a small matter. "Kita boleh bincang..." (Oh, really?) For a while, I thought about what he said. It's true I like working there, but it's also true I wanted higher pay. And is the other company THAT good? I don't know. So why not I just let myself consider whatever he has to offer? If it's good, I'll take it. But if not, I leave. I finally told him that whatever it is, please decide and get back to me fast because I have to make a decision within seven days.

Later in the afternoon, he came to me saying, "By hook or by crook, you cannot leave". It turned out that another partner also insisted that I stay. If my boss failed to persuade me, the partner was going to talk to me himself. My boss also asked me to convey his message to my ' new boss' (who happens to be his friend) that no matter what, Azury is staying.

My body was floating... my feet were no longer on the ground. It truly felt like a dream.

It was unbelievable.

Because honestly, am I that good? Am I worth to be fought over for?

All I can say is, maybe I should stop being so critical of myself and stop underestimating my own capabilities. Because maybe... just maybe, I am actually good :)

When I talked to my mom about it, she asked how it feels to be neeeeeded and appreciaaaaated (That's how she said it). Well mom, you already knew the answer. Of course la I feel GOOD!!

So now, we just have to wait and see what's the offer going to be...

12 comments:

jun jusof said...

Azury, bessnye!!! Congrats babe!
I cud never be in that position of negotiating money.. well, not at least in another 6 yrs huhu...
even if i dare to test my market value, i don't think i'm confident enough to leave... very low self esteem hehe... good for you!!! i'll go to u for advice later when i need it keh! mana la tau kan hehe

Zuraimah Ismail said...

wowwi...thats great!!!!! chances like this is rarely offered..thus grab it. mark up your value..ehehe
yes u r rite, bile masa ni kite baru terpk that we r valuable to others no matter how bad we think we are...:) i experienced that but not on the value negotiation la..:)

~Zila Zul~ said...

wah.. tahniah, see mesti counter offernya. i knew it. aku yg cikai ni pn ex boss aku nk top up more than what my current boss offered ni kan plak ko...

apa pn keputusan ko, good luck bebeh! kalo ko decide nk pegi gak, normarlly mesti ada regret pya ble kt comp baru. biasa la tuh, but usually aku akan outline the silver lining tu myself. kat mana pn aku pegi.. hehe.. (experience org yg dah tukar keje 5 kali.. eheh)

rawsktar said...

kakakku, bagaimana bila boss mcm boss saya tak counter offer, sebaliknya kata kita adjust tahun depan, tapi ckp, 'anies, i like u. i want u to stay.'dan sudahnya, saya stay. kerana sayang kompeni.muahaha.am i stupid or what??hahah.nway, gud luck wif everything ya.

Azury said...

Dear June, I think this 'negotiation' is possible because I'm working in a small company. Staff tak ramai, tambah pulak kerja sgt berlambak and dateline is near. If not, I think dah lama dah dia wave goodbye.

You want to ask for my advice? Better not. In my case, I just get lucky :)

Kak ct, that's so true. When we loss something, that's when we know what we're missing.

Zila, i do have a lot to learn from you. And thanks for the tips. Kalau tpt kerja skrg sucks senang sket nak tinggal, tapi disebabkan tak, I can already feel the regret just by imagining working in another company. As I said before, I've been totally spoiled.

Anies dear, sometimes appreciation speaks louder than money. So akak faham sangat camana anies rasa sbb akak pun sayang company akak ni. You're not stupid dear, you're just... blinded by love... ;)

I still owe myself a solat istikharah...

~Zila Zul~ said...

aku nangis masa 1st 2 comp.
yg first tu benti sbb nak kawin, masa tu kt tg malim. pas kawin nak dok johor.

2nd tu aku nangis gaks, masa tuh pojek kt johor dh abis, aku kena transfer ke kl. bwk anak, tgl laki. sian dia..

gitu le kalo keje ikut pojek site..

skrg nih dok HQ, harap lama la jodoh aku

megadragz said...

salam.
i'd experienced the same twice in my 1st & 2nd comp.the 1st one, all the bosses incl. my manager had persuaded me not to leave and promised me on sallary increment, coming bonuses including seniority and coming projects.well,it affected my decision obviously.eventhough my collegues who knew better about the current company situation (that time which got hanky panky and got no project in hand) encouraged me to leave to my new company which known having some projects in hand and offered better pay.but it's me, who loves current working environtment and friendship and obviously less confident to go for new environment..but Allah has shown me a very2 good lesson, few months later, my manager quits as well as project manager who were at 1st place persuaded me like hell not to leave!that time i felt like an idiot who had missed my golden chance and it's very2 suck!wasn't it? After a few months looking for a secure job,finally i'd made a move and few years later, the same had happened again but this time the situation is very hard coz i'd made a good relation with the directors and it's kindda hard to say goodbye. the reason was very stiff, i wan't go back to hometown, and stay with my wife.u know what, this time lots of things were offered to me incldg finding job for my wife,offered me to stay in company house, and even they had a good plan for me to upgrade my position as manager!wow..were that really convincing?Again, it took a hard time to think, but my wife got the winner..i decided to leave and here i am, even though with less salary than before, but everything is getting better and better.No traffic jams, no tolls, no midnight O.T, no weekend hubby/wife,and less stress!yeah..alhamdulillah..

to me, lots of things we must consider rather than a goodpay..it's up to us to think deeply and study the possiblities..right azury?thanks for reading.

~Zila Zul~ said...

betul tu, pape pun yg penting dekat ngan family lebih senang hati. at least we worry less pasal diorg.

aku pn penah let down my prev comp offer utk new proj kt johor. but then, hubby got a job in kl. I made a hard decision to deny their offer even after the offer letter has been issued.. i cant beat the thot of coming back to an empty house. because with zul in kl means darwish has to stay with atuk in muar..

skrg ni, gaji xleh compare to the one that i let down, tp bak kata en megadragz, at least i have less to worry about..

tp x sama pn mcm kes ko.. pape pun u go girl!

Aku A-Z-Z-U said...

baca kisah si melanies tu teringat pulak kisah kazu kat compurex dulu. "i want u to stay but it's sad for me to say that i can't give u better offer". well, after nearly 4 years and nothing, kazu berhenti juga :P

btw, pagi tadi kazu ade call mama nak wish happy birthday. ma pun ade cerita pasal azury. i'm so happy for you!! tahniah taw! \(^_^)/ *hugs

Azury said...

Hi megadragz, thanks for dropping by and share your invaluable experience. All I can say is... you must be a damn good employee! It seems like every company you worked for couldn't afford to lose you.

Gosh, I never thought it would be this hard to make a decision. But now that I've decided to stay, I hope my boss will keep his promise. Or else, I'll end up like megadragz in his 1st company. Completely sucks!

Zila, aku tak pernah experience being away from my family. And I wish I will never have to...

Compurex wangsa maju, Kak Azu keje macam hape kat company ni dulu. Tapi jangan kata better offer, gaji pun tak bayar kan? Macam siot! Kitorg plak heran nape la kak azu bertahan lama kat situ. Anyway, that's history. You're in a much better place now and that's all that matters.

So you heard from mak? Hehe... thanks! :)

megadragz said...

hi, thanks for reading & replying anyway.but azury,it's not that i'm that damn good or what ever (a lill' bit :p)..but maybe i'm the only one staff who can't afford to say NO to whatever task given to me.maybe i'm a YES-MAN type,order is an order, no matter what, i must do it.so i must face the consequences for being me..hey, that's me.:).it's hard though, but that's why peoples took for granted..
btw, azury, enjoy reading your blog & good english..nice story as well..sorry, my english sucks..

Aku A-Z-Z-U said...

owh silap tu. compurex tu dgn mr LK. dia ok cuma agak kedekut. yg wangsa maju tu 3aganet. itu lagi la teruk, kompeni paling xgune dlm sejarah hidup kazu, huhu. ntah la. dulu2 baik hati sgt :P kompeni xbayar gaji pon nak consider2 lagi, haiseh..keke